Sunday, July 26, 2009

Finally catching up: Harley's EEG

First, y'all remember that Harley had an EEG on the 17th? IDK if I ever told you the results we got then (we should hear back from the dr this week, hopefully tomorrow)...BUT the tech did tell us that he had no seizures while hooked up for the whole 30 mins he was on the machine...I don't know what's wrong with me, but that was upsetting -- (I guess b/c the psychiatrist, OT and Speech have also seen them?)...when she told me that I started to cry and she asked what's wrong, it's a good thing?! I told her I am so tired of going to drs and being told one thing (ie: psychiatrist, if you remember he told me to get him in b/c he KNOWS that was a seizure and we needed to have him checked out)...while another dr rules it all out...it's just so frustrating!! Anyhow, she explained that the first EEG is usually only 50% accurate plus it's only a 30 minute test .. not only that but Harley did NOT sleep for any of the test (they wanted us to have him sleep deprived so he could fall asleep for at least 10 mins for the EEG). Now for being sleep deprived all night and doped up on 2 sedatives and 3 "calming agents" the boy would NOT sleep...he was sooo cooperative and happy and non combatitive...then again this child LOVES to be in the hospital so it's a preferred activity...Still I felt like a dope / bad mommy for crying over the though that my son does NOT have seizures (at least during their test)...

So my guess is they will send us for another...or a 24 hr test. I am worried about him going into the hospital for 24 hrs. Each time he's gone into the hospital one of us had to stay with him b/c the nurses (and I can't expect them to) can't keep him in his room or on his monitors...*(sigh)*...I just don't know what the next step is and I'm so frustrated....

No comments: