Sunday, October 28, 2007

Halloween Present

This year is turning out to be a bit more difficult on the costume idea...Harley wants to be a "lego guy" (at least a week ago he did and this is what he told everyone). Well, I have yet to see a Lego Man costume. Since the schools have 'outlawed' wearing costumes except for the 'parade' at the end of the school day on Halloween, it has to be something he can put on himself...Otherwise we were going to make a cool lego guy out of different kinds of boxes, etc.

So I can't find a lego guy costume...I took Harley to the store to see that they didn't have any lego guy costumes...They also didn't have anything he was interested in! UGGGH! Now what? So when we got home we discussed it...He wants to be a 'skeleton chef' (a creature he created on his Lego Guy game!)...Ok, we went and got a skeleton costume. It even came with a mask (which we all know he won't wear...Sensory issues!)...When Harley got home from school I was all excited and showed him that we got him a skeleton 'body'....He ran screaming from the room and crying uncontrollably for about 1/2 hour!! OMG!! I haven't found a chef's hat yet, but I'm not too worried about that since I know he won't wear a hat anyhow! I'm hoping some day he will decide to don this kind of hat since that's what his 'goal' is...To become a chef when he grows up!!

After calming him down I asked why he didn't want the skeleton costume (and showed him the picture of the lego creature he designed to show me what he wanted to be for Halloween). He said he can't be anything scary...hmmm, I guess all of a sudden skeletons are scary?? They weren't last week....

So I am seriously considering making a sign to put on his back (since he won't allow anything on the front) that says something along the lines of "I'm autistic and this IS my costume!" Some people will really give him a hard time about "I can't give you candy if you don't have a costume on!" Which sends him into a screaming fit on their front porch...

Since the move I haven't been able to find the 'construction worker' backup costume...I guess we will see what becomes of Harley's Halloween Costume for this year on Wednesday...Stay tuned....

OH...We were supposed to go to Safe Halloween at the high school on Friday...Harley decided it was too scary to go and that it would be too "close"...At first I wasn't sure what he meant, but then it dawned on me that it's usually really crowded and he was able to verbalize that it's just too 'close of quarters' to all the other people...Yesterday we were supposed to go to Trick or Treat Street at Fat City (the indoor amusement park) and he responded the same way...So I guess this year we missed out on both of those events....Besides, Tyler is supposed to be a Dragon this year but he won't wear his costume...He can't stand wearing hats of any sort either...Kelly? She keeps flip flopping around...She wanted to be a vampire but Harley keeps screaming at her that she can't be anything scary....He suggested to her that she be a 'cave girl' but she HATES that idea. She's thinking she'll dress up as a Japanese Geisha .... Only time will tell!

Halloween future? Who knows what next year will bring? We'll have a 10 month old, a two and a half year old, an eleven year old, a 15 year old and a 16 year old....I just hope we make it through this year's Halloween without too many more obstacles!

No comments: