Wednesday, September 15, 2010

...more school and stuff

Harley's been excelling at school this year. He does really well with his new one on one aide...Today they were able to get the staff at CP over to the school to give his aide some training on how to deal with Harley when he gets frustrated, and they even put Harley into a couple of situations where last year, he was very frustrated, but he had a great day. He didn't even sleep at school today!! WTG Harley!!

Of course, now that he's doing better at school behaviorally he's been having more behaviors at home and CP...but those are good places to have behaviors...much better than at school.

We are already discussing options for next year (gulp!! Freshman in High School?!). I am concerned that he will not be able to handle the 'block' schedule at our 'neighborhood' school. They have just this year started a Challenge program there, so I figure sometime between now and Halloween I will start to contact them to see how it's going and what a typical day looks like. With all the budget cuts and funding issues it's not clear if we will be able to get Harley at 1:1 for next year. The staff at his current school has already started the paperwork and asked that we get ARC involved in case it gets denied. His placement for next year will hinge on his support for next year. I do not believe (nor does his current school officials feel) that Harley would be successful at our neighborhood school unless he has 1:1 -- so if the 1:1 is denied whether it be because of funding issues or his being "not bad enough" -- will guide our decision in which school he will attend in the LRE and FAPE guidelines.

Yea, I've been busy...school meetings, guiding Robert, getting ready for Kelly's 17th birthday party (and of course her driving experience as well!)...Andrew's work schedule is just as screwy as it's always been.

The end of this month we will see where Zachary stands in his speech delays. He's been doing amazing as well and may not need extensive EI support...maybe just two sessions of speech therapy a month?

The first of October Tyler will start attending school again too...his last year of preschool...it was so sweet to see his face light up when I told him that next year he will be in Kindergarten!! He's growing up so darned fast...I just know he's gonna be a learner and a leader!!

That's the most I have for an update this week. Hope since I can't seem to come and update as much as I would like (please friend me on FB as most of my news goes there now)...that I can at least stop by once a week...we'll see how that goal gets met I suppose!?

Over the last two weeks a friend and her children were supposed to move in because they were going to be homeless. Thanks to getting input from some friends I trust very much I was able to look at the situation and realize she was conning us and there was just no way we'd ever get her out of our house...not only that but after discussing it further with her she had no intention of paying a dime towards the bills that would increase as a result of adding 4 people to our household...I just couldn't have that. I may have lost someone I *thought* was a friend...but I don't think she was ever truly our friend anyhow...and either way, whether she moved in or not it would have ended badly...so may as well get it over with now right?

The good news in all that though is that a room got finished in our basement. Another section of our deck got done as well so now we have an additional 'terrace' on our deck to help with the mud pit where grass will never ever grow :D At this point it's looking like, hopefully by this time next year, each child will have his/her own room. That would be sweet. I may change the 'sitting area' in the basement into some sort of crafting area for scrapbookking and/or sewing...but unfortunately I can't keep anything like a sewing machine in Harley's sight so I don't know if that would work anyhow...we will just have to see how things pan out as we rearrange the family dynamics, room wise.

Most of you following along also know we have been struggling with secondary infertility for nearly 3 years now. I have finally let go of that and we will no longer be trying to add to our family. I am happy with the children I have and there has to be other plans for us...I am just too old to consider bringing another child into this world...especially with so many 'parentless' children out there. Again, something we are looking at for the long term so I won't even bother going into too much detail but as most of you know, we have always been interesting in trying to become a foster or host home...we will see how life progresses in the next few years...

I see there actually have been people visiting this blog so it just might be worth it to keep this blog going....I was thinking of letting it die down and eventually just shutting it down. I know I am not the most talented writer and it's probably somewhat boring but it's still a record to go back and read to remind me of what our challenges and joys were and are over the years.

Now to find an old pic ... Tomorrow IS Thursday....LOL

No comments: