Sunday, June 27, 2010

the cost of autism and what are our chances?

We're getting closer to applying for extreme makeover home edition. We have a 'script' written and now just need to do the video. That's been a lot of work too...especially for something I don't think we'll get picked for. I just am not as involved in the community as I used to be with Harley's needs becoming more severe and Zachary's therapies, and now Robert's therapies and challenges too! It'd be nice if we were picked though...BUT we've been working on the house...doing the best we can anyhow, so it's not like it's falling apart like most of the homes they show.

I'm hoping they see the need to keep Harley from going to a group home and the need to have a 'private' entrance for him to be able to keep him at home without it affecting his benefits. We just wouldn't be able to afford his disabilities without the funding...figuring it this way

Meds: $1,200 for a 30 day supply
Summer camp: $20 per hour x 8 hours a day x 4 days a week for 7 weeks
behavior therapy: $65 an hour (I think?) x 3 hours a day x 3 days a week for 41 weeks
spring behavior camp: $20 per hour x 8 hours a day x 4 days a week for one week
Occupational therapy: 2 x a week at $85 (minimum) per session
speech therapy: up to 2x a week at $90 (minimum) per session

I know there are more...I just can't think, it's late and I need to hit the hay myself. I was just thinking it out....

If when Harley turns 18 he doesn't have his own private entrance / living quarters, his medicaid will be cut off because family income will be counted as part of his resources...(I was told this by a parent peer who is a moving force in the local autism community so I fully believe what she said)....

at the age of 14 he can go on the SEVEN YEAR waiting list to be placed in a group home. He has no safety awareness and I don't think he ever will...I just never see him being able to live on his own...he will always have to be in a 'supported' living environment. That gives us a 3 year window where he would have his benefits cut off while waiting on the list to get into a group home...and I don't want him to go to a group home after our experience working in them!!!! The problem with that 3 year window is that once he's cut off, it's nearly impossible to convince them to get him back on it....especially as an adult.

So please, pray and leave any comment you can if you think we are deserving or have a shot at the extreme makeover....

Add to it that Robert's psychiatrist is encouraging me to apply for disability benefits for him. He doesn't feel he will be able to function either....I wish for all those years Kenny hadn't stood in the way of trying to get Robert a real label because now it's hard to navigate and advocate for him as an 'official adult'. I swear he needs as much support as Harley does to function in life as an adult sometimes! I feel so badly that I was not able to do more for him at a younger age and he may have been able to overcome some of this...(*sigh*)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy,

Sorry I haven't posted a comment in a while.

Thinking of you and hoping everything is all right.

How is your health now?

Talk to you soon,
Haley