Friday, April 18, 2008

Another rough day at school!

Keep in mind that school doesn't start till 9:10 for Harley...About 10:30 I got a call from his special ed teacher saying that he would probably end up staying in her room for the day (rather than being in the 5th grade classroom). 
 
He went to Art this morning and didn't want to quit working on his project when it was time to...now this is a real change...at the beginning of the school year they couldn't even get him to step into the art room so there's some progress...
 
He 'verbally attacked' the Art Teacher (Mr. A)...when his aide tried to calm him he turned and tried to hit her and verbally attacked her--telling her he would kill her!!?? 
 
Finally, they calmed him enough to take him down the hallway to the special ed room and he immediately fell asleep. 
 
I am shocked that this happened, now twice this week with verbal and physical aggression. It's really beginning to worry me! 
 
Andrew was thinking...if it's hormones can we give him estrogen supplements?  Umm, I don't think I'd want to..He's already got manntitties from all of his eating binges...
 
And here we thought we had a handle on this whole autism thing...I guess we have a whole new world ahead of us on it with the hormones and psychosis involved too...I hope we handle the next 8 years as well as I *think* we've handled the first 8 years of the parenting of a child with autism (and other issues??!!)...
 
It's so important to keep our sense of humor and have to occassionally take time to laugh about these kinds of things..but right now it's hard to find a way to laugh...what is going to happen if this continues? Will he have to change schools? Be expelled? Oh, I've got some research to do...Maybe I'll just wait and talk to the doctor next week as to what he thinks our next step should be?? 
 
I don't want to increase the dose of his current meds because it will make him lethargic and sleepy and not nearly as much of a fun loving child as he typically is...but since that's changing...Oh I just don't know the right answers!!  The other meds they want to put him on would definitely turn him into a zombie...which I don't want to do, but I have GOT to find a way to control these newest behaviors...
 
Maybe once the hormones start leveling off it will improve and he'll go back to his 'normal'...
 
SO many questions and not enough answers...
 
this is what I get for breaking my crystal ball all those years ago!! LOL!

No comments: