Wednesday, August 26, 2009

As not to leave you hanging...

We went to redbox tonight :)) ... I got there to pick Harley up and he was actually inside the center. Matt tells me that to get him out of the school with as little resistance as possible he got him to go outside on the front lawn and just watch clouds while laying on the grass in front of the school for about 15 minutes before he even attempted to get him into his car. He said the same thing happened when they arrived at the center but Harley had managed to get into the center about 15 minutes before I picked him up...so he earned his redbox movie. He selected Bolt (I've not seen it, is it any good?)

I am once again not giving him a trazadone tonight but it seems he physically exhausted himself with this outbursts today and he's actually asleep as I type this...is it a miracle? I think so...it's so unusual that he is not up and hallucinating his ass off and pacing through the house at this time. I can't even remember the last time he was actually asleep by 10:00! (of course he's a master at trickery and he might just be awake and faking sleep when he can hear me coming!?)

The other thing I found today is that they feel an increase in his hours is necessary for behavior therapy. He will go from 2 to 3 hours 3 days a week. There's a number of reasons they gave me for this:
#1) because two hours just isn't enough time right now with the major transition he is experiencing and
#2) because he gets out of school at 2:00 and doesn't get much opportunity to socialize with other children since most of them aren't even arriving at the center until 3:30 or 4:00;
#3) because they can formulate a better plan for the further transition and socially appropriate behaviors if they had more time.

I have to admit I was very reluctant to accept the increased hour a day...and here are my reasons:
#1) it was nice to have dinner by 5:30 each night rather than 7:30 or 8:00...
#2) it was nice to drive during non-rush hour (or the very early part of rush hour!)...
#3) it allowed me to give him his meds at 4:00 and now I will have to have them give him his 4:00 meds (and I do not like others giving him meds).--those are all selfish reasons so I know that it is in his best interests to have the increased hour per day.

They couldn't add it to his plan until I approved...now that adds another $40 per DAY to his plan...which may not be in the guidelines of the new budget cuts...but his caseworker explained that since we are also using it as a respite resource that she feels it will have no problem going through irregardless because of our "high needs" due to not having any support from family or friends locally.

So this will most likely start as of October 1st...at least I have time to adjust to it before it happens right?

No comments: