Monday, May 25, 2009

Harley's meeting...

Yeah, I'm behind - this was last Thursday's update :)


Harley's meeting went well. We had to take Harley with us and he acted so very psychotic in the meeting the school and the sp ed director was like WHOA this is NOT the same kid that the "other" school described to us...even the spec ed director who has observed him was like, WOW, I only observed him once, and he was NOTHING like this!? They asked if he had a change in meds and I said he's on clonodine (which is a calming med!) and they were like Oh, well, that's not working now is it? (sigh)...At least I got the main teacher that is responsible for Harley next year to agree to give me her email addy and we can use that in addition to the back and forth book...Oh, and his 1:1 aide will be the same one as last year (not this year) and she's a retired ASD teacher and knows how to put Harley in his place and keep him there, so I think we'll have more success.

The only thing that really concerns me is that Harley's IEP outlines that he have 2.5 hours a week of speech therapy and they don't have a full time speech therapist so he may end up with an SLPA during a couple of his classes. They feel they are going to have a hard time meeting his goal of 2.5 hours a week and they may need to reduce it. Of course, I have a call into the ARC advocqtae to see what she feels is appropraite. There are so many budget cuts that they just can' tstaff the schools full time with a SLP so they are using the SLPs as consult only and having them guide the SLPAs...

So that's the big update...He took a bunch of pictures and I've been busy trying to work on how I'm going to create the social story since he's going to want the pictures in the same sequence he took them in (and of course he had to take pictures of every machine he saw, from staplers to hole punchers to copy machines!) Guess I can create a page that says "these are machines in the teacher's work room but not for Harley to use?" LOL

I have a couple more updates and I'm sitting taking a breather, so I'm gonna try to catch up...

1 comment:

Twice the blessing, plus one said...

Tracy-
I am glad that you finally got the meeting with everyone. Unfortunately with the budget cuts, that is what is happening here as well. Students that desperately need more speech are not getting it, but if they get an SLPA to help out...count your blessings. Our Slp's are being spread thin...there are 3 for the entire district 10 schools...so we get them 1 1/2 days each week. Each student gets about 15 minutes with her....so you see how that is cutting it thin....hugs to you...send some cookies this way.