Friday, December 14, 2007

Announcing Zachary Allen!!

Here it is 3 days later and I'm finally getting around to announcing the arrival of Zachary Allen...
He arrived at 9:50 am on Tuesday, December 11, 2007. He is just a tiny little thing...6 pounds, 1 ounce (actually 0.8 ounces, but they rounded it up) and 18 1/4 inches long. He is a wonderful addition to our family! I can't believe this will be my last time holding a baby this small until one of my kids starts having grandchildren for me...So I have a hard time putting him down.

Zac's birth story: Andrew got home from work at 1:15 am...He was so exhausted and usually I shoo him right off to bed but that night (12/11) I asked him to stay up with me for a little while longer. Well, about 45 minutes later just as I was saying, ok go to bed, nothing's happening it's all in my head...my water broke (no contractions or anything!)...Called the babysitter - it was snowing and icy so it took her a while to get here...We finally got to the hospital and checked in about 3:30 am. They gave me a choice of waiting 6 hours to see if labor started on it's own or taking pitocin right then and there (after my experience with Tyler...25 hours after my water broke still no contrax) I opted for pitocin right away. Not a lot was happening even with the pitocin and at 8:30 am they checked and I was still dilated at 3. Then the contrax picked up so I told them we would want the epidural within the hour. I slept till 9 am when they came in to prep me for the epidural...The epidural was started at 9:20 am but only numbed my left side so they continued to feed lots of meds into me till my right side was mostly numb...At 9:40 they checked me again and I was dilated at 10!! They had the dr come in (who brought an ER resident with her) and had me give one little push...He head popped out to the eyebrows!! The dr messed up his hair and let me play with his hair while she was waiting for another contrax but at about 9:50 Zac decided to wiggle himself out on his own...He had the cord wrapped around his neck TWICE! so they were trying to stop him from arriving too fast...Andrew got to cut the cord after they unwrapped it once and then they slid the 2nd loop off his neck...It was scary...He couldn't scream or anything! He managed to pee on the ER resident as soon as he was free enough to do so (haha). In the meantime, he grabbed onto the doctor's hand and gave her a huge arm hug...It was sooo coool! Then I got to hold my little baby!

So, not real exciting but a quick delivery!

WARNING I am going to post some pics

Here's Zac taking his first breath...If you look real close you'll see him peeing on the doc...Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Zac at 2 minutes old: Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Zac being weighed (in grams?): Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Zac and dad at 20 minutes old (hey, the boy was HUNGRY!): Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Now, on to the next post....More pics to follow. That's really all the pics we got at the hospital because something was wrong with the camera (or was it the cameraman?...) and the pictures kept turning out really blurry too!! Darn it!!

No comments: